Remember Our Soldiers
Materials for experiential,active learners
NEW! Bell Ringers!
Mrs. Portulaca Purpilopilis
and the Purple Adventure Goggles
Facts to Wow your Friends! NEW:Book Facts and Black History Month
History For Kids
Tween Tribune-News Stories for Student
DogoNews: Fodder for Young Minds
Time for Kids-Around the World
BBC Website for Kids
VOTE , VOTE, VOTE
Learn some interesting things about our Presidents, the White House,the Presidential Election and More!
In order to win the 2012 election, the candidate need 270 of the 538 total possible electoral votes.
What are the qualifications to be President of the USA?
1. What are the qualifications to be President of the USA?Find the answer at this link:American History
3. What is the number of electoral votes needed to win the presidential election?Find the answer at this link:Electoral Vote
4. Which 4 states has the most electoral votes?Find the answer at this link:Electoral Vote
5. What is the symbol of the Republican party?Find the answer at this link:Fact Monster
6. What is the symbol of the Democratic party?Find the answer at this link:Fact Monster
7. What are 3 requirements to voting?Find the answers at this link:Gallopade
8. Since 1933, Inauguration Day has been held on which day?Find the answer at this link:Congress for Kids
9. How may terms of office may a president have AND before this limit was made, which president was in office for the longest time?Find the answer at this link:InfoPlease
Helpful website on the Presidential Election:
Take a virtual tour of the white house
Very informative kid friendly information on the entire election process.
What Do You Know About the White House?
Go to this site to learn about the White House:
Did You Know? Presidential Trivia
John Quincy Adams brought his pet alligator to the White House He also liked to skinny deep in the Potomac River. A reporter once sat on his clothes until he gave her an interview!
The expression OK is said to have come from Van Buren who was called "Old Kinderhook" and sometimes sign papers, OK
Ulysses S. Grant is the only president to get a speeding ticket....for driving his horse.(paid a $20 dollar fine).
The Baby Ruth candy bar was named for Grover Clevelandıs daughter Ruth
William McKinley had a pet parrot who was trained to whistle , "Yankee Doodle".
Warren G. Harding had the biggest feet of any president...size 14
John F. Kennedy was the first president to have been a Boy Scout
Franklin Pierce was the first President to place a Christmas tree in the White House.
James Garfield was the first president to be left- handed AND could write with both hands(and different languages at the same time-Greek and Latin)
Theodore Roosevelt was the first President to ride in a plane, a car and a submarine.
John Coolidge had an electronic horse installed in the White Horse.
Herbert Hoover was the President to make the Star-Spangled Banner the National anthem
FDR was the first President to appear on television.
Jimmy Carter , a speed reader, was recorded reading 2000 words a minute!
George Washington was a spelunker, loved searching in caves.
Rutherford. Hayes had the first telephone installed in the White House and talked to Alexander Graham Bell, 13 miles away.
Benjamin Harrison was the first president to go to a baseball game and usually left the "new electric lights on" in the White House fearing to touch the switches.
Martin Van Buren was the first president born a US citizen.
Presidents that were left-handed include: Presidents Barack Obama, James Garfield,Harry Truman, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton. Some say that Herbert Hoover was also left-handed but the Herbgert Hoover Presidential Liberary says that he was not.
2. Don't Know Much About the Presidents by Kenneth C. Davis, 2002 Harper Collins Publishers 973.0992.
3.Mr. President, A Book of U.S . Presidents by George Sullivan 2001 Scholastic
4.The Last Cow on the White House Lawn and other Little Known Facts about the Presidency by Barbara Seuling 1978 Doubleday and Co J973.0992 Seul
Check out more Presidential Trivia at this site!