My Book-Mrs. Paddington and the Silver Mousetraps
Mrs. Portulaca Purpilopilis
and the Purple Adventure Goggles
Facts to Wow your Friends!
HAIL TO THE CHIEF!
by Gail Skroback Hennessey
1. Presidents of the United States have long had an assortment of pets. John Quincy Adams had silk worms and an alligator, James Buchanan had a eagle and an elephant and Martin Van Buren had two tiger cubs. Which three presidents didn't have any pets?_________,_________ and ________ What types of pets were Rebecca and Horace:_____________, Enoch:__________, and Nip, Tuck, and Snowflake:_________________,all pets of President Calvin Coolidge? Which president had parakeets named Bluebell and Marybelle?_________ Go to this link to find the answers:Fact Monster
2. In 1901, which president officially named the presidential residence, the White House?__________. What were three other names used for the residence prior to this?_______________ ________________ ________________. Find the answer at this link: Factmonster
3. President Franklin D. Roosevelt was the only president elected to ______ terms of office and was the first president to be on television! His hobbies included swimming and sailing. FDR had a collection of _______________. When the King and Queen of England were guests at the White House , President Roosevelt served this to his royal guests!_______ President Roosevelt was the first president to appoint a woman to his cabinet. Go to this link to find the answers: Kids National Geographic
4. President George Washington was the only president to not live in the White House. The building where the presidents reside was designed by ___________. In 1814, the __________set the White House on fire during the War of ______________. President Theodore Roosevelt was the first to name the executive building, the White House. Before this, it was known as the Executive Mansion and Presiden'ss House. Who was the president when electricity was installed in the White House?Go to this site for the answers:Enchanted Learning
5. President Lincoln was the first president to wear a beard. Other such bread wearing presidents were Rutherford Hayes, James Garfield and Benjamin Harrison. Which four presidents wore mustaches? __________ , _____________,__________ and _________.Go to this link to find the answers:Washington Post
6. In 1954,Hail to the Chief , was selected as the official music played to announce the President of the United States.
Written by an English composer named ____________,it has been used since 1852 with the inauguration of__________. Before this song is played, what is the music played to announce the president is about to enter a room?_______________. Which two instruments are used for this tune?________ and _______ Go to this link to find the answers: musiced.about.com
7. Of all the vice presidents to hold the office, nine succeeding to the Presidency with the death of the president. Which vice president became president with the assassination of John F. Kennedy?_____________. Who became president with the resignation of President Richard Nixon?_________ Of the 14 vice presidents to become President, only four were actually elected in a presidential election. Name the four:______________,_______________,_________________and ____________________.Go to this link to find the answers:
http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/briefing/Vice_President.htm(scroll towards the bottom of the page)