Remember Our Soldiers
Materials for experiential,active learners
Mrs. Portulaca Purpilopilis
and the Purple Adventure Goggles
Facts to Wow your Friends!(Check out for April: Earth Day, Oceans, Dirt, Shakespeare and Books!
(New: Sample Iditarod Webquest!)
History For Kids
Tween Tribune-News Stories for Student
DogoNews: Fodder for Young Minds
Time for Kids-Around the World
BBC Website for Kids
IN THE NEWS
The people of Switzerland are digging a railway tunnel that when opened in 2017 will hold the world's record for length. Started in 1993, the Gotthard Base Tunnel, when completed, will be 35 miles long! Currently the world's longest tunnel is the Seikan Tunnel, in Japan. It is 33.46 miles long and runs under the Tsugaru Strait, connecting the islands of Hokkaido and Honshu. The Gotthard Base Tunnel, is above ground, being dug through the Alp Mountains. And, if you are wondering which tunnel is currently the 2nd longest, that would be the Chunnel Tunnel. The Chunnel, at 31 miles long, connects Great Britain to France ,and runs under the English Channel.
Learn more about Switzerland:
Mapwork on Switzerland:
1. Name the countries that border Switzerland.______________
2. In which country is Mt.Blanc found?___________
3. Near which city are both the Matterhorn and Mt. Rosa
4. What is the capital city of Switzerland?________ Near which lake is it located?___________
5. Which southern city of Switzerland is near Lake Como?____________
6. On the map, which city is the furthest north?_________________
7. Where is Vaduz found?________________
8. Switzerland's Lake Geneva borders what other country?_______________
9. On the map, which city, in Switzerland, is the furthest east?______________
10. Lake Constance touches which countries?__________________________
FUN ACTIVITIES for SWITZERLAND:
Science Discovery Learn how Swiss cheese is made
William Tell-Short-story-time.comRead the legend of William Tell
Science Discovery Video on the making of an alpine horn.
The Matterhorn and its mirror image! Cowbells on a barn wall. Glacier near Zermatt.Jungfrau, Eiger and Monch Mts.near Interlaken(Murren) Famous lion monument in Lucerne.Traditional Swiss building with lots of flowers. Workers making avalanche barriers.Covered bridge in Lucerne(from 1400s!) Friend met will hiking down the Gornegrat. Notice the bells?