Remember Our Soldiers
Materials for experiential,active learners
Mrs. Portulaca Purpilopilis
and the Purple Adventure Goggles
Facts to Wow your Friends! NEW: Apple Facts/Constitution Day Fun Facts
History For Kids
Tween Tribune-News Stories for Student
DogoNews: Fodder for Young Minds
BBC Website for Kids
DID You KNOW? FUN FACTS ABOUT THE OLYMPIC GAMES
* 1. In ancient Greece, unmarried women participated in their own games. Held ever 4 years, the event was held to honor Zeus’ wife, Hera. The event was a running event. in 1900, women were first allowed to participate in the modern Olympic Games.
* The first TEAM sport of the modern olympics, added in 1900, was football.
* The city of London, England, has the record for hosting the Olympic Games. The city has hosted THREE Olympics.
* In total, the United States has hosted the most games. The USA has hosted FOUR Winter Olympic Games and FOUR Summer Olympic Games.
* The motto of the Olympic Games is in Latin. "Citius,Altius, Fortius" means "Swifter, Higher, Stronger."
*A baker named Coroebus was the first record winner of an Olympic competition. The year was 776BC. He competed in a running event.
* In 2012, both softball and baseball were dropped from the games. Wrestling, one of the original Olympic sports, has been dropped from the 2020 Olympics.
*Tug-of-War, Croquet and lacrosse were once Olympic sports.
* Golf and rugby will be sports in the 2016 Olympic games.
* The Caribbean nation of Jamaica sent a bobsled team to the 1988 Winter Olympic games in Calgary, Alberta, Canada!
* In 2012, Saudi Arabia allowed two women to compete(judo and 80m running competition). It was the first time women from Saudi Arabia were allowed to compete. The Olympic committee said the male teams from Saudi Arabia would be disqualified if females were banned. The issue was gender discrimination.