Remember Our Soldiers
Materials for experiential,active learners
Mrs. Portulaca Purpilopilis
and the Purple Adventure Goggles
Facts to Wow your Friends! Chinese New Year/Famous Games from Greece/Black History Fun Facts/ Presidents!
History For Kids
Tween Tribune-News Stories for Student
DogoNews: Fodder for Young Minds
BBC Website for Kids
Let's Learn about the Island of Guam
Gail Skroback Hennessey
The Island of Guam is in the news. What do you know about this Pacific Island? Pack some sunscreen, a hat and grab a camera and let's travel to the island of Guam.
1. About thirty miles long and about eight miles wide, the island of Guam, is the ________________ island in a chain of islands known as the ________________. These islands are in a region called ______________.What is the name for the deepest trench in the world found near Guam? _______________Located about 200 miles from the southwest coast of the island, the deepest part of this trench is about 7 miles deep. What is the name of thedeepest part of this trench?_________________ Find the answers at this link:
2. The shape of Guam looks like a large footprint. Name the highest peak(1334 ft. or 407m) in Guam:___________Which body of water is to the west of Guam? _______________ Which body of water is to the east of Guam?________________ What is the northernmost city of the Guam map? _________________ What is the most southern city on the map?_______________Which continent(and country) is south the island of Guam? ______________What is the capital city of Guam?____________ Note: The city's name has returned to the Chamorro name of Hagatna. Find the answers at this link: http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/oceania/gu.htm
3. In 1521, who was the first European to visit the island of Guam? _______________ For which country did General Miguel de Legazpi claim the island,in 1565?_______________The United States gainedcontrol of the island of Guam, in 1898, after which war?_________________In 1941, during World War 2, which country took control of the island of Guam?__________After WW2, the island of Guam became a U.S. Territory. Find the answers at this link: Find the answers at this link: http://www.ducksters.com/geography/country.php?country=Guam
THERE ARE 9 WEBQUESTIONS IN THE COMPLETE RESOURCE.
Did You Know?
1. Guam doesn't have a Walmart but there is a very large K-Mart!
2. The people of Guam can vote in Presidential elections but they do not have anyelectoral votes.
3. Ground coral and not sand cover the beaches of Guam.
THERE ARE 10 Did You Know? FACTS In The COMPLETE RESOURCE.
THERE ARE SEVEN COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS IN THE COMPLETE RESOURCE.
1. Before having students do the webquest, have students locate the island of Guam on a world map. Ask the students to share any prior knowledge they may have on the island of Guam.
2. After completing the webquest, regroup and discuss information learned from the web quest on the island of Guam. Use a world map and have students locate countries mentioned in the web quest including North Korea, Spain andJapan.
3. Read a folk story from Guam:http://folkstoriesfromaroundtheworld.weebly.com/guam.html
4. Try learning some Chamorro:
Manana Si Yu'os
Si Yu'os Ma'åse'
THERE ARE 7 EXTENSION ACTIVITIES IN THE COMPLETE RESOURCE AND THE KEY TO THE WEBQUEST AS WELL AS THE COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS.
1.Fun Facts about ISLANDS of the world:http://www.gailhennessey.com/index.shtml?islandfactsweb.html
2. With the winter Olympics coming in February, 2018, learn about the host country of South Korea:https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/South-Korea-A-Webquest-3296485
Illustration from wpclipart.com