Remember Our Soldiers
Materials for experiential,active learners
Mrs. Portulaca Purpilopilis
and the Purple Adventure Goggles
Facts to Wow your Friends! NEW:Turkey Facts, Pilgrim Factoids,Rockefeller Center TreeFacts
History For Kids
Tween Tribune-News Stories for Student
DogoNews: Fodder for Young Minds
BBC Website for Kids
Did You Know?
1. Did you know that Ben Franklin arrived at the Grand Convention in Philadelphia on a sedan chair? Four prisoners from the local Philadelphia jail carried Franklin on the chair.
2. Before deciding on Mr. President, names for George Washington, the first leader of the United States, included "His Most Benign Highness" and "His Highness, the President of the United States of America and Protector of their Liberties."
3. Philadelphia, the largest and most modern of cities at the time of the Convention, had a population of 40,000.Gravel was used to cover the cobblestone streets to make it less noisy for the meetings.
4. It took 116 days to complete the draft of the document called the Constitution.
5. To date, only ONE amendment to the constitution has been removed(repealed). The 18th Amendment(1918) which abolished the making, sale and transportation of alcohol, was repealed in 1933.
6. Each night, the Constitution is lowered into a specially made vault for its protection.
7. George Washington announced the first national "Thanksgiving Day", November 26, 1789, to "give thanks" for the creating of the Constitution.
8. The words "democracy" and "God" do not appear in the document of the Constitution.
9. Eighty-pne year old Ben Franklin cried as he signed the Constitution.
10. James Madison, who would become the 4th President of the United States, was called the "Father of the Constitution".
Things to do:
3.Thislink explains the Bill of Rightsfor kids: http://kids.laws.com/bill-of-rightsGroups of students could be assigned one of the rights and make a poster.Have students write a paragraph explaining which right they feel is most important and why.
4. Have students create posters or greeting cards for Constitution Day.
Website of Interest:
*Check out my Ms. Bie Ografee Play on James Madison, "Father of the Constitution":Check here to see a sample and purchase: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/ConstitutionReaders-Theater-Script-James-MadisonFather-of-the-Constitution-3337971