Whenever astronaut John Glenn left on a mission as a fighter pilot, he'd tell his wife,"Well, I'm going down to the corner to buy some chewing gum". He said the same thing on Feb.20, 1962, when he left to board the Mercury capsule, on a mission to orbit the Earth, In a 9 1/2 by 6 ft. space capsule called Friendship 7, named by his two children,John Glenn became the first American to orbit the Earth. The date was February 20, 1962. Learn more about this historic space accomplishment ,50 years ago this year,as well as other space firsts with this webquest.
1.With little more leg-room then a Volkswagen Beetle,Glenn orbited the earth, three times, in 4 hours and 56 minutes.Glenn got permission from NASA to bring a little gold pin and some small silk flags, things what wouldn't weigh very much.What were three of the things that John Glenn saw as he orbited the Earth?________________________ ___________ _________ Find the answer at this link:History.net
2. The third American in space, John Glenn orbited the Earth three times, traveling at speeds of 17,000 miles an hour. Prior to being an astronaut, Glenn was in the military. In which conflict did he serve?__________ Afterwards, he became a test pilot.What record flight did he complete?_______________What was the name of the space project that John Glenn was involved?________
Find the answers at this link:
3. From a maximum altitude of about 100 miles, there was a problem with Friendship 7. The capsule started to slant right. What had gone wrong to cause this?_________________. A more serious problem also occurred which NASA didn't wish to tell Glenn, as it might make his safe return to earth,in jeopardy. What was it?__________________ What were Glenn's first words after safely returning to earth and exiting the space capsule?_____________Find the answers at this link:Scholastic
4. John Glenn didn't land his capsule.Friendship 7 splashed into the ocean. In which ocean did this occur and near which island?___________________ On his return President John F. Kennedy presented Glenn with which medal?_____________________How was Glenn also honored in NYC?___________________Find the answers at this link:
5. On October 29, 1998, at the age of 77, John Glenn again went into space, becoming the oldest person to go into space. During this mission, the crew orbited the Earth 134 times, a distance of 3.6 million miles in 213 hours and 44 minutes! What was the name of the space shuttle he was aboard?_________________.What creature was aboard to study how balance is affected by zero-gravity?______________Glenn studied the effect of bone loss in space What is the disease of bone loss called?__________________He also studied what other area?_____________How was Glenn studied each night?__________Find the answers at this link:Neuroscience for Kids
6. John Glenn, who later became a senator from the state of Ohio, was the first astronaut to ever eat in space.He ate pureed applesauce from an aluminum tube. What fear did scientists have about eating in space?______________This proved to not be an issue. However, what WAS a problem with eating in space?_____________________Find the answers at this link:Thinkquest
7. Laika, a Russian dog,in 1957, was the first creature to orbit the earth. At least 13 other dogs, between 1957 and 1963 gave their lives for space exploration. In 1958, what was the name of the first monkey in space and what type of monkey was he?____________________ Who was the first human to go into space and from which country was he from?____________________Who was the first American in Space?__________________Find the answers at this link:Enchanted Learning
8.Who sent the very first artificial satellite into space in 1957.___________What was it called?____________Historians called this event the beginning of what between the United States and the Soviet Union?_____________Find the answers at this link: Scholastic
9. At least 1400 inventions for NASA have found their ways into our daily lives. A CAT scan, is used to look for tumors or other problems in the body but was actually developed to test for problems with nozzles and rocket motors.Eyeglasses with coating to protect from scratching and to block out the sun’s harmful rays are another invention from our space program. Name two groups that benefit from "cool suits" worn by astronauts doing space walks?____________________What were two other inventions? _____________________Find the answers at these links:Space.about and Space.about.com
Test your Knowledge on Space exploration at this link:NASA
A quote which John Glenn liked was that of Winston Churchill. He said, 'You make a living by what you get, you make a life by what you give. What is a quote that you especially like?
Dennis Tito, became the first space tourist in 2001.He paid $20 million to spend 8 days at the International Space Station.
Snoopy, the Peanut character, is the safety mascot of NASA astronauts.
Wan-Hu, a Chinese man that lived around 1500 AD, may have been the first in space. Forty-seven rockets were attached to a chair with two large kites. He was never seen again!
The word astronaut is Latin for "star sailor".
The first woman in space was Russian,Valentina tereshkova(1963).
The first American woman in space was Sally Ride(1983).
First person to walk in space was Russian,Alexei Leonov(1965).
First American to walk in space was Ed White(1965).
The first man to walk on the moon was Neil Armstrong in 1969. Buzz Aldrin, was the second. As Armstrong walked off the ladder onto the moon's surface, he said, "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."